Thursday 5 June 2008

Women And Wine, Game And Deceit

I have workmen in this morning and with having to wait in until they arrive I don’t really have any option other than to drive to work. I suppose it will at least do my knee good. I’d already promised myself no running this week to give it a rest.

When I make the mid-morning drinks I again do my strengthening exercises on the stairs. It’s a painful procedure though and I ask L whether it's really supposed to hurt this much. L reassures me that it is and it’s definitely doing me some good. Hmmm.

Back home the workmen have done a good job with the new fence, although I think they underestimated the stubbornness of my ivy bush which had taken possession of the old fence.

I take Doggo for a quickie on the park, and then I drop Daughter off at the Tennis Centre where she’s meeting L for a game and I head off to squash.

After another disaster on the squash court I cheer myself up with a pint of Legend in the Globe.

As Benjamin Franklin once supposedly said 'Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy' but I don’t think he played squash.

In fact there are doubts he said those words at all because he was actually a wine drinker. So perhaps it’s kind of appropriate that I switch to wine when I get home (tenuous link or what!), which goes well with one of L’s stir-fry’s. Although not much of the first glass makes it to my lips before Doggo sweeps the glass off with his tail as he was getting over friendly with his fleece blanket.

Benjamin Franklin also said ‘Women and wine, game and deceit, make the wealth small and the wants great.’

What he quite meant by that I’m not sure and in any case I’m too knackered tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment